Thursday, August 29, 2013

My first recipe! My favorite tofu scramble

Yes, you are on the right blog. This is The Gay Vegans. I am not a food blogger and am super excited about this! This is my first recipe, and I am super stoked to share it with you!

Lately I have been making tofu scramble on Sundays for breakfast, and making enough so I can make tofu scramble burritos for breakfast throughout the week. Today I realized that after using so many recipes and a lot of tastes by trial, the recipe I now use is completely my own, and one I would like to share with you.

Here is what you need:
1 chopped onion
A splash of olive oil
2 tomatoes chopped
1/2 bag of frozen hash browns
salt and pepper to taste (I love a lot of pepper)
A box of tofu, extra firm (I think this is 1 lb)
Some fresh chopped garlic (to taste)
1 tsp of Tumeric
1 tsp of Cumin
1/2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper (if you want, you can make this 1 tsp!)
2 cups or so of chopped kale or spinach
One chopped avocado

Additions that I like but are not necessary for a scrumptious scramble:

A vegan sausage, crumbled
An additional green like Swiss chard
Daiya cheese shreds

Let's make tofu scramble!

Grab a skillet, put on high heat and add the olive oil and the onion. Once the onion starts sizzling go ahead and turn the heat down to medium. When the onions start to brown, add the tomatoes and then add the frozen has browns. Spread the hash browns out so the whole skillet is covered with them. Add salt and pepper and let the hash browns cook. I usually cover the pan for a few.

Then mix the hash browns and continue to stir them so they cook. When the hash browns are starting to brown add the tofu and spices. Now it's coming together! Keep mixing and stirring. When the tofu and hash browns look all cooked (and the tofu is yellow), go ahead and add the greens and avocado.

Note: If you're adding vegan sausage, add it before the veggies. If you're adding an additional green, add it with the greens. Cheese can be added with the veggies.

Serve and enjoy. This makes enough for Mike and I for breakfast with leftovers. Add some Dave's Killer Bread toasted with soy butter!

You can make breakfast burritos with the leftovers, wrap in foil and put in the fridge for a quick breakfast another day.

I hope you love this recipe as much as I love it! Please let me know what you think!

Thanks for reading!



2 comments:

  1. I've never tried it with hashbrowns!!! What brand do you suggest?

    I also use tamari, sun-dried tomatoes, asparagus tips, and corn or celery.

    Have you tried the Sweet Potato Hash from Crazy Sexy Kitchen? I make those together and so yummy!
    I add in Field Roast apple "sausage."

    I always ate savory breakfasts before becoming vegan and this dish does the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Hashbrowns! Duh! I shoulda thought of that! :o)

    ReplyDelete