Monday, August 26, 2013

A simple request can help animals

Our lives are so busy and sometimes it can be easy to forget that in this crazy world, a simple request can help animals.

I have been thinking of this for a couple of days now.

In my day job I am a fundraiser for an agency that serves homeless youth. A local group wanted to do a fundraiser for us, in the form of a fashion show. I was thrilled. Who doesn't love a fashion show? Awesome music, great fashion and underwear models!

I wasn't even thinking of the animal cruelty aspect. At least in Denver, most fashion shows are pretty archaic and backwards, and include fur. Real fur. From tortured animals who lived their entire lives in fear and pain.

I didn't want to be any part of a fashion show from the 19th century.

This event was being planned by friends of the agency I work for, not by me directly. I asked to have a conversation with the person inviting designers and models, not knowing how that would go.

In the conversation, with the planners present, I brought up my personal feelings around fur and why I would be thrilled if our fashion show did not include fur.

No problem.

At all.

We get it.

I know the folks planning the event so I was not surprised at all. Just thrilled.

There are times when it is easy to get overwhelmed by all of the horrible things happening around the world, in the US, in our own communities. It can also be easy to forget that seemingly small, simple conversations or actions can have a huge affect, an affect that can go on and on.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment