Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Gay Vegans and Chick-fil-A

 
Many of you know that Dan usually writes these blogs.  With all of the recent news about Chick-fil-A I wanted to relate a personal story.  

Look at some of the companies and groups that Chick-fil-A financially supports.

One of the groups is Exodus International who’s mission statement says “Mobilizing the body of Christ to minister grace and truth to a world impacted by homosexuality”.  On their site they say they do not support bullying, reparative therapy, or anything like that.  This is not true.  Though they don’t specifically offer reparative therapy they quickly get people into programs of reparative therapy.  These therapies can range from counseling to more intensive things like exorcisms, electro shock therapy, brain washing, etc.  It really depends on the people who are running a particular chapter of the group. 

So where is my personal connection you may ask?  In my first year of college I got involved with a Christian group on campus.  The other students in the group were amazing.  I really enjoyed being with these people and will forever be grateful for them.  Yet in the process of being involved with this group I got involved with people from Exodus International along with other Ex-Gay groups.  These people led me to believe that being gay was not what God intended for me.  I was very confused coming from a religious background that did not accept homosexuality.  I had finally started to accept who I am until these people came along.  They quickly got me involved in reparative therapy sessions.  My sessions included long hours with groups (that I had to pay for; thousands of dollars wasted) telling me that my being gay was a result of things that happened to me and I had a choice not to be gay.  There was laying of hands, exorcisms in the group, and though it never happened to me, some individuals experienced electro shock therapy.  The sessions were very much in a bullying style intended to brainwash us into believing we were not supposed to be gay. 

This did not help.  I had homosexual attractions ever since I can remember.  Going back to when I was five.  I do not remember a time when I did not find a man more desirable than a woman.  That means that all those things they said made me gay happened after I knew I was gay.  All the group did for me was make me hate myself more, go into more secretive and destructive behavior, and not want to exist. 

Through the grace of God I moved states and came to Colorado after college.  I eventually found people who supported me, and a church that supported me for who I am and not what they thought I should be.  It has been a long road and is still a journey I take with my loving and supportive husband.

Why do I share this story?  To let you know of just a touch of atrocities that companies like Chick-fil-A commit on non-human animals but on their fellow humans as well.  Don’t shop blindly and vote with your dollars blindly.  Before you buy your next meal out, a car, or even your groceries look at what you are supporting.  Ask the tough questions of what their policies are and whom they give to.  Ask for documentation, especially if you are buying something big.  I know I roll my eyes at my husband when he does this but love him even more for doing it.  Do you want to be a part of something that is destructive and hurtful?  Or do you want to be a part of something that brings love and compassion to the world?

I leave you with something from the Bible which relates to animal cruelty. The owners at Chick-fil-A don't bring up this part. Their entire chain supports animal cruelty, which is against biblical principle:  “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it.  They will be yours for good.  And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds  of the air and the creatures that move on the ground-everything that has the breath of life in it- I give every green plant for food”  Genesis 1:29-30.  Read on for yourself He never in the perfect world told us to eat animals, in fact he tells us to rule over them and we know a good ruler will not kill and eat his subjects.  It was only after the fall that humans started eating animals.

As Dan always says, thanks for reading. We both are so grateful for all of the support we get from our readers!

13 comments:

  1. Unreal that you had to go through that, Mike. I had no idea they did stuff like that. Beyond hateful, it's just plain creepy that humans can do that to other humans. So glad you found a place that accepts you as you were perfectly born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me sad to read what you went through and to learn that such organizations exist who put people through such mental anguish and torture. I'm so happy that you are now supported and accepted for who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Katrina and Susan. We are very grateful for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do realize, though, that there exist such groups because of the bible's homophobic contents? You cherry-pick what you like in christianity and ignore the rest (just like them), but you still give credit to their god and to their homophobic bible by being in this religion. It makes no sense to support homophobic literature for any reason.

    You quote what the bible says about animals, they quote what the bible says about gays. It's the same book. Please stop supporting it.

    There is no mention of nonvegans going to hell for causing harm because the bible was written by nonvegans. What is the punishment in the bible for hurting nonhuman animals? There is none. The bible is not a source of morality. Don't forget that this god asks people to sacrifice animals for him. And kill homosexuals.

    As a vegan and equality activist, I am against supporting the bible, quran, torah and all violent ideologies. It's not a personal matter (or there would be no "ex-gay" clinics). Religion is bad and unnecessary. If it brings peace of mind to a believer (somehow), it is at the cost of truth, justice and standing up against violent ideologies.

    Please watch the documentary "Religulous".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Naoki. Mike and I are both Christian. We don't think the bible is anti-gay. We also believe that there are tons of Christians, like us, who spend their lives working for peace, justice, and equality. Also, I (this is Dan) believe that such groups exist because of greed and power, and that they would exist even if there were not a book to point to. Thanks again for sharing your views!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, guys. I'm so sorry you—Mike—had to endure such treatment. I love this blog and am so proud and inspired that you express your views with reason and kindness. I wonder what you make of Genesis 9:2-3: "Dread fear of you shall come upon all the animals of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon all the creatures that move about on the ground and all the fishes of the sea; into your power they are delivered. Every creature that is alive shall be yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants." You do make a qualification about "a perfect world." Well, this isn't a perfect world. Obviously, you get a lot out of your faith, but I wonder how you feel about passages such as this. I'm not curious because I think you're wrong to live your lives the way you want. I'm curious because—to me—Christianity seems to be at odds with a gay and/or vegan life. Frankly, I think Christianity is the root of tremendous immorality and irresponsibility in the world today. I do not feel, however, this way about you. You two amaze me with your kindness, dedication, and generosity. Thank you for all your posts. Best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great contribution to the Chick-fil-A debate. I'm always amazed at how hateful corporations can get when it so obviously lacks business sense. I think it's pretty clear that you're in trouble when dudes like this are defending you.

    (I must say that using the Bible to justify veganism in this context does feel a touch ironic, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Guys! This is Mike. Thanks for the comments on my writing. I love what you have to say. A quick clarification. I used to bible quote to show how a company that says they are based on biblical principals may not be at all. I did not intend to use the bible to justify veganism. Though I will say I believe the bible really does justify this. In reference to the Genesis 9:2-3 quote. This is actually the first time in the bible that we are "allowed" to eat meat. Follow this link There could be much debate over this. Check out this link for another perspective on vegetarianism and the bible http://www.thenazareneway.com/biblical_%20vegetarianism_denis_giron.htm But again not my intention. Just wanted to show that Chick-fil-A is picking and choosing.

    For me I make the distinction that religions (all religions even secular ones like atheism) are human made and thus flawed. There are more religions than just christian ones that participate in anti homosexual rhetoric. Chick-fil-A is coming from just one sect of Christianity. There are many Christian religions that support homosexuals and same sex marriage.

    I hope that from this debate over Chick-fil-A hate speech and stereo-typing toward Christian's does not start. There are many Christian's today and in history that have fought for peace, justice, and equality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing. I am spreading this as far and wide as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing! I had a little talk with one of my kids, a few months ago, in her school there are a lot of mormons and I guess she heard them say that being gay is a sin, she said she heard them calling gays with disparaging words, and other bs like that, which contradicts what I say to them. I find it disheartening to see little kids already contaminated and filled with hate.... I'll do my best to raise my kids open minded and accepting, and your post really gives me some more info to use in communicating with them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your experiences. How awful that you had to endure the shaming and questioning yourself. As I raise three children in this world that still treats people horribly based on the color of their skin, their religious views or lack thereof, sexual preference, gender, etc. it makes me worried for their futures. I can't believe there is even a debate about this crazy company and their hateful policies. We live in a country where we can vote with our dollars and you are so right...we need to be informed and made sure that we do not support organizations or corporations that spread hate and violence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an inspiring read. Hope for the human species takes a leap forward every time someone like you responds to cruelty, ignorance, and bigotry with clarity, insight, and kindness. The good in all of us is amplified and given voice by your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First thank you so much for being willing to share your experiences so openly. I grew up in a Christian home but I have come to believe that the bible is just a book. Maybe an inspiring book for some but still a book edited by men and written with a purpose that may or may not be divinely inspired.
    I do not get my ethics or my sense of spiritual truth from a book. But I can say that I am inspired to follow and to be resolute to my ethics when I read blogs like this. You give me hope and you strengthen my faith in possibility.

    ReplyDelete