Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The love gay

Mike and I were at Veg Fest Colorado the weekend of July 7th. We had a blast. Our vegan company, Cruelty-Free World was a sponsor of the fest and we loved selling cookbooks, purses, belts, wallets as well as promoting our blog.

I just had to share a conversation Mike had with two young children at our booth:

Child: What kind of gay does that mean?

Mike: Well that is my husband over there. I am married to another man.


Child:  Oh, so the love gay.

Mike: Yes. (of course I was a bit overwhelmed by his statement. What a great way to explain gay).

His sister: I thought you said you were from Colorado, isn't that illegal?

Mike: Yes but in our eyes we are married.

Both kids: We think it is just stupid you can't get married. They need to change that."

What a great way to explain gay indeed! The first child had seen our cards and sign promoting The Gay Vegans. I still get a little teary eyed when I talk or write about this. It was just so cool. And their mother just smiled as the conversation was going on.


From Mike: What awesome kids. Taught me something. I love talking with children as they are so open and truthful.

The kids we in 4th or 5th grade.

Thank you for reading!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE it! "the love gay" Sigh. :)

    I love when these conversations come up in my class. Each fall, we do a family unit called "That's a Family" that focuses on every possible family permutation. When we talk about gay families it usually goes like this:

    Child A to me: Wait. Did you just say your brother has a HUSBAND?

    Child B,C,D,E,F, and G, all turning around to face Child A: Yea. They're gay. Gay people get married to each other all time time. (insert eye rolls)

    Child A sits there looking quizzical, processing it all.

    The tipping point was definitely reached around here a while back, and the stragglers are just catching up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Le sigh - I am in heaven over this post. Children are wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! How nice to hear that at least some kids are being raised as open-minded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story. This gives me hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story! The love gay. I love that. :) Thanks for the smile.

    ReplyDelete