Friday, January 27, 2012

One Day at a Time in activism

Making the world a better place for all living beings is what we are all about. As we know from our own experiences and those shared by friends and readers, life can quickly become filled and sometimes it is easy to get overwhelmed.

In recovery circles, "One Day at a Time" is all about doing the best one can TODAY, and not worrying about yesterday or tomorrow. This is equally powerful for activists.

What can I do today to help end the suffering of animals on factory farms?

What can I do today to support another activist?

What can I do today to promote veganism and a plant-based diet?

What can I do today to take care of myself?

Many days this is a pretty simple list: go to work, have dinner with my husband, love on the furries, write a blog post, promote veganism, pray and meditate.

Other days, well, you know!

Life gets crazy sometimes. If you are like us, you are inundated with information about these dogs about to be euthanized, this cat needing a home right now or she'll be killed, sign this petition, like this page, join this group, and etc!

Whew!

My head is so much more clear when I stay in today. Sometimes just staying in the moment. This is part of taking care of myself and I always feel like I am a better husband, friend, activist, and voice for the voiceless when I am doing this. If I get consumed with what I did or didn't do yesterday and get freaked out about what I possibly can't get accomplished tomorrow, then today has a good chance of being a wasted day. And quite simply, there is too much at stake for that.

Past posts I have written have included simpler actions one can take when trying to make the world a better place for all living beings. Add this idea to that list.

Today I am trying to get a couple of dogs adopted. I signed a petition. I talked to a couple of people interested in animal rights about dead piles at feed lots. I loved on my husband even more for making me delish vegan oatmeal cookies.

What a day!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. In the same vein as "one day at a time," I'm a big advocate of the philosophy "every little bit counts." Small things add up and make a big difference. Just chip away at things little by little. This kind of thinking helps me when I'm feeling overwhelmed too. Thanks for sharing.

    Good luck with getting those pups adopted!
    Tierney

    ReplyDelete