Saturday, October 25, 2014

Today I got pissed off

I have been vegan for 18 years. I have been out of the closet (openly gay) since 1990for 24 years.

So I am used to dealing with folks who are openly and verbally judgmental towards vegans/veganism and gays/sexual minorities.

Being used to it, many times I just shrug it off. Sometimes I engage in a kind way, especially when it comes to legal marriage or what the Bible says about married gay men living in the 21st century who want to have sex. Or when someone asks "do they really hurt the animals?"

And seldom does this negativity get to me.

Until the other day.

When talking about leaving some vegan food aside for a future day, someone I do not know said "well you definitely don't need to worry about me touching it!" They just said it, not directed to me, but as a public announcement.

Inside I became enraged. Like, WTF. Like, was that really necessary?

The rage stayed inside me for hours. It was tough to let go.

I did, finally.

I do not want to be angry, or carry anger. I don't understand why people judge or shame or ridicule. I don't like it. So the easiest thing for me is to not become those people.

After all, I can't change people. I can only control me.

I like being kind and loving. And I like being vegan and gay.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. I feel you on this one. How about all the people who get really defensive and like, contemptuous of vegans? It's the most illogical, transparent, sad, and pathetic thing ever. I had someone the other day (who I was talking about factory farming with and who was extremely bristly at the mere fact that people existed who didn't eat meat, and who were talking about that) say 'that's just your view; not mine.' and I said, 'what about what I just said is a view rather than a fact?' and he said 'you say they murder the animals. They don't murder them, they kill them' . . . . . . ! Riiiiiight . . . . . . well, I said, 'in any case, they are taking the life of someone who would prefer to live.' Talk about denial and obfuscation . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, you are an example of humanity at its best. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan but I still like non-meat and non-dairy alternatives and find it baffling that some carnivores think that they're not allowed to eat such products or that, somehow, these alternatives will taste bad or be flavourless.

    I find quite the contrary, in fact my official position on the matter is that vegetarian and vegan options often taste better because the producers have put more effort into designing interesting and palatable taste collages.

    I can understand your annoyance at such an off-hand and ignorant remark which would probably make me feel like I have a disease or something.

    *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just say "Oh goody! More for me!"

    ReplyDelete