Saturday, June 15, 2013

Your racist crap doesn't scare him



Have you heard of Sebastien de la Cruz?

Holy cow!

He's 11, an incredible, Hispanic singer and has now sung the national anthem at two NBA finals games.

After singing in the first one earlier this week, he got a ton of hateful, racist comments through Twitter, and I imagine on other social media. The problem was that why on earth was a Mexican boy in a charro outfit singing the national anthem? He's probably an illegal. How un-American!

Hateful tweets continued.

So what did the San Antonio Spurs do? They invited him back to sing again. This is when I saw him, from a YouTube video of his second performance. The applause he got was deafening.

I have to admit I got tears in my eyes. Such a beautiful young man with so much talent. Receiving so much hate just because of the color of his skin and his embracing of his culture.

What does Sebastien have to say about all of this?

"My father and my mama told me you should never judge people by how they look." His father is a US Navy vet. (I add that because I am a US Navy vet!). He also said in a later interview, "What you think of me does not affect me, I just brush you off," as he took his hands to brush his shoulders.

Amen.

We love him!

We could write 100 blog posts or more about racism and how it presents it's ugly head every day in every community. As we say about many messed up things in the world, if we speak out against something that is so wrong, we give voice to the voiceless and we create change.

Rock on Sebastien. We can't wait to hear you live one day!

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! What a wonderful (and sad) story. Awesome little guy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Blog! thanks for the great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the title of this post. Tell it like it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to point out that this young man was a last minute stand in for Darius Rucker, who was delayed because of weather. Sebastian nailed his performance and his mariachi suit represented our city so perfectly, so we were horrified and baffled by the hate his performance generated. Thanks for your post. We all have a duty to speak up when hate rears its head. Go Spurs Go!

    ReplyDelete