Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"Mary Lou" - My first movie review!


Our friend Jessie invited us to see an Israeli movie titled "Mary Lou". It was in Hebrew with English subtitles, a movie about a young Israeli gay man finding his place in the world and dealing with the loss of his mother who left his family when he was younger.

Think about a gay, Israeli, "Mama Mia" and that gives you a glimpse of what you'll enjoy.

As I am always honest in my blogs, it is important to know that I am in no way a professional movie critic. And this is the first time I have promoted a movie with my blog. Yet here I am, having enjoyed a film that I want to share with all of you.

Growing up gay, coming out, dealing with family and friends, falling in love (at times with people who have no interest in being with a man), are all topics covered in "Mary Lou". And all experiences I have had in my life.

Svika Pick is an Israeli pop star form the 70's and 80's. The film centers around his music which I thoroughly enjoyed.

“Courage is sometimes no more than an outburst of great despair.” This is one of my favorite quotes from the film's lead character, Meir. He's not the greatest person as he is filled with faults. Just like me. And his character definitely changes throughout the film. I think he becomes a better person.


I would give this film a for sure two thumbs up. In my way of rating films I would also simply say to go see it if you ever have the opportunity. Even if you don't like subtitles like Mike, and he loved "Mary Lou".

And to give you fair warning, there are indeed dark parts. That's part of growing up gay, coming out, and surrounding yourself with people who, like you, try their best to make it on a daily basis. Not all of us make it. Yet many of those who do keep on going, and keep on trying to become better people.


I laughed. I got teary-eyed. I was empathetic. I experienced a whole new world and at the same time felt a lot in common with many of the characters.

If you get to see "Mary Lou" I would love to hear what you thought!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of it! I'll have to wait for a night when I need a good cry. :)

    Did you ever see "Imagine me and you"? It's light and fluffy like Sleepless in Seattle. But I love Sleepless in Seattle. So if you're ever in the mood for fluff, that's a great one.

    ReplyDelete