Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Beyond grateful!

After blogging about Thanksgiving Day and then about giving to charities, I thought it would be appropriate to write about how I am just filled with gratitude.

I write this blog with a heavy heart, as Mike and I prepare to make end of life decisions for our 18 year old companion dog Shadow.

And yet that's a huge part of what I am truly grateful for, my family.

I have no clue what I have ever done to deserve the life I have or the family I have.

Mike is truly the love of my life. Being married to him is such an amazing gift. And the family we have created, with Rock, Miguel, Suga, Shadow, and Monty, is just so big and wonderful and loving that I can't help to be grateful for it every day.

And beyond our home we have wonderful family as well as our incredible family of choice, many of whom will be sitting around the Thanksgiving dinner table with us this week.

I am grateful for all those who on a daily basis act to make the world a better place for all living beings. Even when it is not easy. Or popular. Or safe. These people are my heroes.

I am grateful to be sober. That's a whole other blog post!

I am grateful for my community, for all those who love and support me, who teach me, who walk this amazing path with me.

I am grateful to have an incredible job that I love.

There is so much more, but I imagine you get the idea.

Yet before I finish, I have to mention that I am beyond grateful for all of those folks who take time to read this blog and for those who write such beautiful things to me about the blog. Yesterday we got a note that said that we are such an inspiration. Wow.

Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you! I just found your blog. As a vegan, and an LGBT ally to my wife who in the last few years has finally realized what all of those feelings she was fighting were - and is in the process of of being an out and proud lesbian, I'll be following your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad that the end of Shadow's life is coming! Oh -- it is so hard to say goodbye.

    This is such a lovely post, though! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your posts! By surrounding ourselves with people we love we create the life we want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dan, It is funny how you finished your post saying that you were thankful because somebody left you a note saying you were such an inspiration. I was just thinking that while I was reading it. Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts with all of us! I wish you and Mike a great Thanksgiving. I am sorry to hear that
    Shadow isn't doing so good. Regards. Yezmin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful list of things to be grateful for that you have!

    I am sad to hear that you and Mike are in that position with Shadow now. We've been there before and may be there again soon. It just never gets any easier, does it? *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kendall! Thanks so much for the comment. We are sending you both lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks to all of you who have thought about our Shadow. She is still with us and the issues making it difficult for her have cleared up for now. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so hard when our companion animals get older or sick. I've lost two of my cats in the past few months, and it is heartbreaking. I'm glad Shadow has a loving family to help her through.

    ReplyDelete