Saturday, November 2, 2013

(Our) Legal marriage closer to reality

As I write this the state legislature in Hawaii is debating the legalization of gay marriage. Yesterday, the state senate voted yes (there were only 4 no votes).

Meanwhile I have been enjoying posts about Day of the Dead and World Vegan Day.

There is so much to celebrate in our lives.

I remember the days when marriage wasn't even a thought in the future. When there were no vegan blogs, no vegan restaurants. Actually, I remember when there were hardly any vegans in my life!

Today I look at my husband and know that one day we will be legally married. On April 30, 2005 we were married in our church in front of 160 friends and family. It wasn't legal. We called it a loving act of civil disobedience.

Civil disobedience indeed.

A few months ago the US Supreme Court ruled that parts of the Defense of Marriage Act were not constitutional. For us this meant that we can get married in a state where gay marriage is legal and have our marriage federally recognized even though we live in a state where gay marriage is banned in our state constitution.

Since then, New Jersey has become another state where gay marriage is legal.

More states will come. Even though bigotry and hate is alive and well, marriage equality is happening and will one day in the not so distant future be legal in every state.

I have to say that I am ecstatic that one day soon I will be legally married to Mike. He is the love of my life, my best friend.

When we have a date and have a plan as to where we will have our legal ceremony, I will definitely let you know. I realize that I have said this many times, but I have to say once again how grateful we are for all of the love, support and inspiration that we get from our readers.

Thank you!

More to come.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome and I am happy for y'all. I look forward to the day when it is legal in all states so my friends in Texas can get married. Then we can start winning women's rights back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan! I haven't commented in a while but I always read your posts. I have no doubts that fully legal gay marriage is coming in the near future. There's really no way to justify it not being legal that doesn't involve BS and discrimination and slowly but surely, the legal system is catching up.

    ReplyDelete