Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ellen, JC Penney, and bigotry

You may have heard about this story with Ellen speaking out against the "One Million Moms" for attacking JC Penney because they hired Ellen as their spokeswoman.

Mike and I have a couple of things in common with Ellen and her wife Portia: we are all gay and we are all vegan. I realized I had much more in common with Ellen when I listened to this statement:

"Here are the values I stand for. I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you'd want to be treated and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That's what I stand for…" This was part of Ellen

I have been following the One Million Moms fiasco against Ellen DeGeneres and her new gig as spokeswoman for JC Penney. This is bigotry at it's best.

On the positive side, I am thrilled to support a company who so openly embraces equality, and goes steps above that in confronting those who attack them for supporting equality. Plus, their CEO made his own video supporting Ellen!

JC Penney, I have always enjoyed shopping with you and look forward to so much more. As an animal rights and human rights activists there are many stores I do not shop at, so having an excuse to support you even more is wonderful!

I often write about hate and bigotry. Such a waste of time and energy when there is so much suffering in the world that people could use that energy towards. Yet it continues and Mike and I will continue to ask you to stand with us as we fight it.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. My partner David and I are with you. I meant to Google closest JCPenny last weekend and go there and open a charge card, letting the person know that I haven't shopped there in years but they've earned a new customer. Your entry reminded me and I will do it today.

    ReplyDelete