Saturday, April 19, 2014

Gabriel García Márquez


This past Thursday I received a text from a good friend of mine who works at our local Telemundo news station that they had just gotten word that my favorite author, Gabriel García Márquez, had passed away.

The sadness hit me immediately.

I pulled up the website for El Tiempo, a major Bogota (Colombia) newspaper and there it was: Gabo had indeed passed away.

Long before I came out, long before I became vegan, long before I decided I wanted to spend my life making the world a better place for all living beings, I was transported to different worlds thanks to
Gabriel García Márquez and his incredible story telling and ability to create a narrative that makes one feel they are in another world.

Like really in another world.

Many times as I was growing up and becoming a man, I could escape to Gabo's worlds.

They saved me.

Having spent my junior year of high school in Santa Marta, Colombia, I was introduced to a life entirely different than mine, and I met people who would forever have an affect on my life.

And I came to know about an author named Gabriel García Márquez. Ever since, I have been a fan.

I look through all the novels and short stories I have of his on my bookshelves and feel immense gratitude.

Thanks Gabo. I will miss your presence in this world. And I will always be grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment