Thursday, July 21, 2011

Meatless Mondays Part II

When I wrote last week's blog post my goal was to introduce the idea of Meatless Mondays to people who are currently not vegan or veg and hopefully get people to consider not eating meat on Mondays. I never imagined the response I received, hence a Part II.

I hope you will notice the list of links I have added since the last posting. I added these in an effort to be supportive to the wonderful folks who read the Meatless Mondays blog and told me they would go meatless next Monday. Some of the links are specifically for people here in Colorado and others are websites and blogs that I think are very helpful. Please check them out.

As of Friday, July 22nd, just a couple days after the publishing of my Meatless Mondays blog post, 190 people have committed to going meatless next Monday. This number only includes people who are not already vegan or veg. I am literally blown away and so excited on many levels.

So this blog is for those 190 plus people who will not eat meat (or fish) next Monday.

Thank you!

Thank you for giving this a shot. Thank you for putting aside any concerns you may have or judgements you may have around veganism or vegetarianism.

My hope is that you will not only go meatless next Monday, but every Monday. To do that, you're going to need to find great veg food or cook great veg food. Some of the links I added will help with this. Fortunately for me, Mike is an amazing vegan cook so we eat very well. We also have some wonderful restaurants near us that serve some great veg items.

Regardless of where you live, there is most likely a restaurant near you that has a few veg items. I have found that ethnic restaurants like Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, and Chinese typically have a selection of veg dishes. Just ask the server. The Happy Cow and Veg Guide links can help with finding a place near you to eat.

I also suggest trying to find a local Vegan or Veg Meetup or potluck. I added one such meetup to the links, up in Boulder. This is a great way to meet others who are either already vegan or veg or are taking first steps like you. Being part of a community of others is always helpful as you learn more about going meatless. If you cannot find a meetup in your area you can always start one!

When I became vegan I was fortunate to know of a bi-weekly potluck in Virginia Beach. I was so surprised by the many amazingly delicious vegan dishes and learned a lot about vegan cooking.

Mike and I are fortunate to have a close circle of friends who are either vegan or honor who we are as vegans. Our personal community includes people who eat meat, but who honor our veganism and why we are vegan. We do our best not to alienate people as that does nothing for animals suffering to become food. We try to honor everyone on the path they are on.

And we are SO excited that you are now on this path with us!

We will keep adding links and be as supportive as we can. Have a blast on your first Meatless Monday. Go out to dinner. Invite neighbors over for a great home-cooked meal. Celebrate a world of scrumptious food and delicious recipes.

And then let us know how it went!

Thank you! Thank you for your incredible support of this blog and thank you for going meatless on Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm inspired that you are reaching out to all individuals to include Meatless Monday in their weekly routine. It's so feasible, delicious, and cost friendly! Sometimes I lose track of that vision, and I'll do my part to spread the word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! I'll add it to my own and look forward to seeing your journey unfold!

    ReplyDelete